This week we are excited to be sharing a simple soup recipe made in the slow cooker! Serve alone or with a sandwich for lunch, or even as an appetizer! The evenings are becoming colder and soon winter will be here. Warm up on a chilly evening with this dairy free, gluten free and vegetarian recipe! Fresh wholesome ingredients means great tasting food.
Give this one a try and let us know what you think! Bonus points if using some of your remaining Hildreth Farms squash!
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 8 hours
2 lbs butternut squash, halved, seeds removed (1 medium)
2 small ripe pears, peeled, cored and diced
2 large shallot, quartered
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
2 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth, or 1-1/2 tbsp Better Bouillon w/water
1/2 cup coconut milk, plus more optional for garnish
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
What to Do:
1. Place the squash, pears, shallots, ginger and broth in the slow cooker.
2. Cook on low for 8 hours or high 4 hours, until soft and cooked through, a knife should easily be inserted.
3. Remove squash from skin and discard the peel.
4. Stir in coconut milk and nutmeg.
5. Blend in a blender or using an immersion blender until smooth.
6. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper and garnish with more coconut milk, if desired. Or even sunflower seeds!