This Christmas Morning casserole is a classic! If you have not heard about this recipe then you will have to give it a try to see what all the fuss is about. Who doesn't love prepping this the night before and then just throwing in the oven amidst the Christmas morning unwrapping chaos?
A tasty breakfast or brunch casserole that can be customized to almost any diet. Give it a try!
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 1 hour & 15 mins
Yields: 12 servings
10 slices bread (remove crusts if preferred)
12 slices ham thinly sliced (I used black forest)
2 cups cheddar cheese sharp, grated
6 large eggs
1/2 tsp black pepper ground
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 cup chives chopped
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp hot sauce
3 cups whole milk
1/2 cup butter melted
1 cup corn flakes cereal crushed
What to Do:
1. Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish or spray with cooking oil.
2. Cut and fit 5 slices of bread to fit over entire bottom of dish. Depending on the size of your bread and casserole dish you might need more bread. Layer the slices of ham then top with the cheddar cheese. Cut and fit the remaining 5 slices of bread to completely cover the ham and cheese.
3. In a large bowl whisk together the eggs with the pepper, dry mustard, chives, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Add the milk and whisk until well combined. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the casserole.
4. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.
5. The next morning preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
6. Pour the melted butter evenly over the casserole and sprinkle with the crushed corn flakes over the top.
7. Bake in the preheated oven until set and lightly browned, about 1 hour. Let casserole stand for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.