Want to try something different? Or looking for a way to reduce waste when making muffins? Campfire muffins! Try out this recipe featured in Savour Ontario Outdoors Guidebook.
Find the Guidebook Here:
What you need:
1 1/2 cups spelt flour
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
6 navel oranges,
1/3 top sliced off, juiced and pith scraped out
Heavy duty aluminium foil
What to do!
1. Build fire and allow to burn for 45 minutes to 1 hour to create coals.
2. In the meantime, prepare oranges: slice 1/3 off the top of each orange, juice oranges, then scrape out pith. Tear 6 squares of foil that are large enough to wrap around one orange and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the spelt flour, salt, cardamom and baking powder.
4. In a pitcher, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, oil, honey and vanilla until combined.
5. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until smooth.
6. Fill each orange 3/4 full with muffin batter and wrap securely with foil, leaving a bit of room at the top for the batter to rise.
7. Nestle each foil-wrapped orange in the coals and cook for 8 minutes. Flip the
packets over in the coals and bake for another 8 minutes. Pull one packet from
the fire, carefully unwrap and pierce the centre of the muffin with a skewer. If it
comes out clean, the muffins are done, if not, wrap muffin back up and return to
coals for another minute or so.
8. Remove muffins from the fire and allow to cool. Unwrap and enjoy!